Thursday, October 8, 2009

Depression and Rollerblading.

Ok so yesterday kinda knocked me on my butt. I have struggled with depression for about 9 years now. After a horrible day of yelling at everyone in my home and feeling so stressed I could have ran away from home i decided to go to the doctor. Now I have been told three times in 9 years that I may need to think about going on anti-depressants but I have always refused. So I go to the doctor and he prescribes me Zoloft and counseling with a former pastor in the area. My doc is a good Christian man who understands my concerns about anti-depressants. But I end up mentioning it to mother-in-law and she is worried about side effects and all that so I decide to do a little research before actually taking them. I end up bring up a study done by Duke University on Zoloft. Half of the people are put on Zoloft, and half have to go jogging for and hour everyday. THe ones who jogged had better and longer lasting results than the ones on Zoloft. So I talk this all out with Terry. Neither one of us have been too keen on anti-depressants so this looks pretty good to us. Even better is that diet can have an effect on depression too. So I decided to try it. The best part of this plan is that I need to lose weight but now weight loss isn't the only thing i am trying to accomplish.
So this brings me to my other half of the title. I left the house last night to go walking. I am so outta shape that I could not just start off jogging. Of course I am not really looking forward to jogging anyway because I don't enjoy it. So as i am waling arount the track I see a set of rules saying that rollerbladers couldn't go over 17 miles per hour. Now back in high school I was quite a rollerblader. I work at McDonalds which was about 3 miles from home and I would rollerblade back and forth to work. It usually took about a half an hour. In the summer I would rollerblade back and forth and then roller blades all afternoon with my friends who were on Bikes. So I'm thinking this is gonna be cake. I'll go home get my blades and finish my exercise. Ok so it was fun but I only made one 3/4 mile lap and I was exhausted! Yeah rollerblading is not as easy as i remember. I mean I can still do it but it takes more work than I thought it did. I was huffing and puffing and my face was red. apparently rollerblading burns almost as much calories as running. I guess I didn't realize how much energy I had back then. I certainly don't have it now. But i have FINALLY found something i like doing. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. You know what else i realized. My depression started and continued when i became sedintary. When i started to eat so much junk food. It does make sense that when i start getting off my butt and eat healthy that my depression might subside and maybe I can also look good in the end too: )

No comments:

Post a Comment