Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Journey

Ok so the name is corny but it has a purpose. So anybody who has known me from childhood knows that I was very skinny as a child and adolescent. I was called everything from beanpole, ethiopia girl, Olive Oil, to my personal favorite mosquito bites. Oh yes mosqito bites was my friends favorite to call me in high school as I was a very late bloomer. But even when I finally "bloomed" my chickeny legs provided plenty of fuel for the fire. Little did I know I would eventually long for the days when I was called a beanpole. I will never forget the day I realized I was no longer the superskinny girl. I was sitting in my dormroom with my roommate Bitsy, who was complaining about her weight, and she commented that no one ever saw themselves as too skinny. I said I have always thought I was too skinny. She then gave me a look like I had lost my mind and in that instant I realized I HAD gained a few pounds. In the years that follwed I have gained more than a few pounds. In fact I have gain about 60. The funny thing is apparently I have always seemed to have the opposite problem that anorexics have. Instead of seeing myself as overly fat I have always seen that painfully skinny girl in the mirror. So I eat all the crap I want and get little exercise. But in recent months I have taken a good look and thought "Wow who is that fatty in the mirror!" So I am blogging about my journey back to a healthy weight. Not back to chickeny legs hopefully but a healthy weight. I weight where I can play with my kids without getting winded after five minutes. A weight where I can feel good about myself. And a new lifestyle that I can feel good about passing on to my children. So here's to the journey and I would apreciate all the encouragement you can throw my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment